From: "John P. Burkett" <burkett@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emacs-common-gentoo-1[X] mask
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 06:20:20
1 Jorge Morais wrote:
2 >>> Looking at /usr/portage/app-editors/emacs/emacs-22.3-r2.ebuild, I see
3 >>> that it depends unconditionally on app-emacs/emacs-common-gentoo.
4 >>> You cannot eliminate this dependency by changing USE flags.
5 >>> The most natural solution is to tell Portage to accept the package
6 >>> app-emacs/emacs-common-gentoo, even though it is not officially stable.
7 >>>
8 >>> To learn how to do this, read the portage man page and look
9 >>> for package.keywords.
10 >>>
11 >>> For quick, "cake recipe" instructions:
12 >>>
13 >>> 1) If there is a file named package.keywords in /etc/portage,
14 >>> add to it the line
15 >>> app-emacs/emacs-common-gentoo
16 >>>
17 >>> 2) If there is a directory named package.keywords in /etc/portage,
18 >>> you can create a file in it (the name of this file is irrelevant),
19 >>> and add to this file the line
20 >>> app-emacs/emacs-common-gentoo
21 >>> If there is already some file in /etc/portage/package.keywords, then,
22 >>> at your option, you can either edit this file and add to it the line
23 >>> app-emacs/emacs-common-gentoo
24 >>> or you can create a new file with this line.
25 >>>
26 >> Thank you very much for your prompt, clear, and comprehensive response.
27 >> Your suggestion solved the problem.
28 >> Best regards,
29 >> John
30 > You are welcome. I forgot to stress something:
31 > after some version of app-emacs/emacs-common-gentoo
32 > at least as recent as 1.0 becomes stable, you may want to
33 > remove the line
34 > app-emacs/emacs-common-gentoo
35 > from the file you have edited, so that Portage will go back
36 > to its normal behavior of seeking stable versions of the package.
37 >
38 > Anyway, using a testing (not officially stable) version of a single,
39 > simple package is unlikely to lead to problems.
40 >
41 > I prefer to use stable, tested package versions in my system,
42 > but one small exception for a small and simple package is harmless.
43 >
44 Thank you for this tip. I'll keep my eyes open for a stable
45 app-emacs/emacs-common-gentoo version >= 1.0.
49 John P. Burkett
50 Department of Economics
51 University of Rhode Island
52 Kingston, RI 02881-0808