From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Root on NFS Suspend/Resume support
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 23:26:47
1 On 12/11/2018 03:53 PM, Tsukasa Mcp_Reznor wrote:
2 > Actually I haven't found the need for a menu at all, dnsmasq serves
3 > whatever kernel I have symbolically linked to the clients from their
4 > boot folder
5
6 Nice.
7
8 Aside: I played with a PXELINUX (?) menu to boot a few different
9 things. It's been too long for me to remember details. But I was quite
10 happy with it. I think I had installers for a couple of different Linux
11 distros and a couple of DOS based utilities.
12
13 > I've had this same IP for months on this machine, I would assume
14 > the same for the others,
15
16 Fair enough.
17
18 > as far as log messages from the server, it answers the same to each
19 > request from the same mac as far back I I've scrolled through
20
21 Okay. So there's no obvious conflict with UEFI and the OS DHCPing from
22 the same MAC address. Relatively clean transition.
23
24 > Yes all are booting the same kernel
25
26 Nice.
27
28 (Kernel parameters moved to individual lines so my brain can absorb them.)
29
30 > ip=dhcp
31
32 So, there are three things DHCPing.
33
34 1) UEFI firmware
35 2) Kernel itself
36 3) OS init scripts
37
38 Intriguing.
39
40 > root=/dev/nfs
41 > rootfstype=nfs
42
43 I had no idea that there was an nfs device. I am assuming that it's
44 specific to the fact that the root file system type is NFS. - I must
45 research this more.
46
47 > rw
48 > nfsroot=ServerIP:/diskless /root,nolock,fsc,tcp,proto=tcp,vers=4,nfsvers=4.2,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576
49
50 I assume:
51
52 "ServerIP" is the NFS server's IP address.
53
54 "/diskless" is the NFS export
55
56 "/root,nolock,fsc,tcp,proto=tcp,vers=4,nfsvers=4.2,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576"
57 are NFS mount options.
58
59 > raid=noautodetect
60
61 Why have a raid parameter? Is there something in the kernel that you
62 don't need and are disabling? Or is this somehow influencing how file
63 systems are mounted on boot?
64
65 Do OS init scripts try to remount root? Or is there not an entry in
66 /etc/fstab for the root, and just rely on the kernel's mount?
67
68 > all the same root, I actually just have a custom bash script in local.d
69 > (openrc) for handling specifics for each node (adding dvd/blueray whatever
70 > to fstab)
71
72 Hum.
73
74 How are you handling the hostnames? Or is that dynamic?
75
76 What about user accounts? Are all your client systems using the same
77 password & group files?
78
79 What about SSH host keys?
80
81 > anything that conflicts like /var/log I just have as tmpfs on
82 > each machine
83
84 I can see that for logs. But I don't think that an empty tmpfs is
85 sufficient for things like passwd / group files or ssh host keys.
86
87 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Diskless_nodes I got my start from
88 > reading that, well unless you count doing diskless with ubuntu in the
89 > way way past, my hard drive died then and I wasn't about to just use a
90 > livedvd unable to really install anything lol
91 $ReadingList++
92
93 Thank you for the link and kindling something that's been a latent
94 interest of mine.
99 Grant. . . .
100 unix || die