From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage python USE flags.
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 01:34:54
1 Indi wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 02:40:01AM +0200, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have a quick question. I sync'd a bit ago and noticed something a bit
5 >> odd. Here it is:
6 >>
7 >> [ebuild U *] sys-apps/portage-2.2.0_alpha34 [2.2.0_alpha33]
8 >> USE="(ipc) -build -doc -epydoc -python2 -python3 (-selinux)"
9 >> LINGUAS="-pl" 794 kB
10 >>
11 >> I know portage needs python but check out the USE flags. Both python2
12 >> and python3 are disabled. Shouldn't one of those be enabled? Even
13 >> better, shouldn't portage complain a bit about this before emerging?
14 >> Thing is, I'm tempted to enable them both. 2.7 is currently being used
15 >> but won't 3.1 be used eventually? Should I enable both or just emerge as
16 >> is?
19 > Pretty sure that if you have -python2 or whatever that only works
20 > against building things which have an optional python bit, and has no
21 > effect on things you have which are python-based system bits.
22 > The USE flags affect options, they don't bar things altogether.
23 > I have "-gtk -qt4 -qt3support" in make.conf, but it doesn't stop me
24 > from installing gtk-based things -- just stops the building of
25 > *optional* gtk guis.
26 >
27 > Even so, I wouldn't do that with something as critical as python.
28 >
29 > The real question is "why do you hate python"?
30 > :)
34 I don't hate python. I didn't disable python either. This just sort of
35 popped up. I check USE flags and I don't recall seeing this before.
36 Then again, I don't question portage updates to much either.
37
38 I read other replies and it seems the ebuild is going to make sure
39 everything stays sane so off to finish my updates.
40
41 Thanks to all.
42
43 Dale