From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I update *every* ebuild?
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 00:02:57
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Hilco Wijbenga
3 > <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On 23 January 2013 11:53, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> <snip/>
7 >>>> emerge --update --deep --newuse world
8 >>>> emerge --update --deep --newuse system
9 >> <snip/>
10 >>>> So how can I update really *every* ebuild?
11 >>> And in answer...you've got it right. (Though I would use @world and/or
12 >>> @system, rather than leaving off the @)
13 >> Why? While "@world" refers to the world set explicitly, it does
14 >> exactly the same as "world", doesn't it?. You could save a whole
15 >> character! ;-) More seriously, the @ character isn't easy to type so
16 >> I'd rather avoid it unless there is a real benefit to using it.
17 > I don't know about your keyboard layout, but in en-us, @ is shift-2,
18 > which is pretty easy. And if you type cross-host email addresses at
19 > all (since the 80s, anyway), @ should come naturally. :)
20 >
21 > So, to answer 'why':
22 >
23 > 1. Newer versions of portage have broader support for sets. Using @
24 > when talking about sets is useful for maintaining your understanding
25 > that you're working with sets.
26 > 2. While it may well never happen (unless portage drops support for
27 > resolving 'world' to mean '@world'), if there is ever a package named
28 > 'world', then "emerge world" when asking for the @world set will be
29 > ambiguous, and lead to surprising results.
30 >
31 > If you use apostrophes and punctuation in normal writing, a single @
32 > in an infrequently-typed command shouldn't pose much of a problem. :)
33 >
34 >> More to the point, doing "emerge ... system" *after* "emerge ...
35 >> world" seems pointless. World includes system so I would expect
36 >> everything in system to already have been updated. It would make more
37 >> sense to start with "emerge ... system" but even then: what is the
38 >> advantage over simply (only) running "emerge ... world"?
39 > That, I don't know. I usually just emerge -uDN @world, followed by
40 > emerge --depclean, followed by revdep-rebuild. And if I'm writing a
41 > script[1], I'll throw --resume in there somewhere. And maybe cycle it
42 > until everything comes out clean
43 >
44 > [1] https://github.com/mikemol/gentoo-install
45 >
46 > --
47 > :wq
51 All I ever do is emerge -uvaDN world and it catches everything. If you
52 use plain world, it includes the system set. If you use @world, then
53 some things in the @system set may not be upgraded.
54
55 Dale
56
60 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!