From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Since when does module-rebuild delete modules for previous kernel version?
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 23:09:31
1 So I just noticed that when I run:
2
3 emerge @module-rebuild
4
5 after having installed a kernel update, the kernel modules of the
6 previous kernel version are being deleted. I am sure this didn't use to
7 be the case. I have two entries configured in grub:
8
9 Gentoo
10 Gentoo (previous kernel)
11
12 They load /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/vmlinuz.old respectively (these are
13 created by "make install" of gentoo-sources.)
14
15 Right now, I have gentoo-sources-5.10.47 booted. Modules are in:
16
17 /lib/modules/5.10.47-gentoo
18
19 I just built 5.10.48 and did the usual "make install" and "make
20 modules_install". This updated the vmlinuz and vmlinuz.old symlinks in
21 /boot (as well as the config[.old] and System.map[.old] symlinks) and
22 installed its modules into:
23
24 /lib/modules/5.10.48-gentoo
25
26 So far, so good. But when I ran "emerge @module-rebuild", which rebuilds
27 these two packages:
28
29 app-emulation/vmware-modules
30 x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
31
32 The vmwware and nvidia kernel modules got deleted from
33 /lib/modules/5.10.47-gentoo.
34
35 This is bad. When did this change? How can I prevent this from happening?