From: Raffaele Belardi <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] remote debugging python on embedded platform
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 09:50:35
1 (Moved from [pycharm-community vs pycharm-professional] thread)
2
3 R0b0t1 wrote:
4 > On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 10:54 AM, Raffaele Belardi
5 >> I'd use Python to develop programs for fun on an ARM-linux embedded board, with the host
6 >> PC running Gentoo. I suppose that for debugging on the target I'd need this feature:
7 >> "Remote run/debug" which is available only in the (pycharm)Pro edition, right?
10 > Usually what I see is either sftp or rsync (over ssh) to the remote
11 > computer, then ssh to run the updated files. Alternatively you can ssh
12 > to the remote host and run vim within that session.
15 I suppose vim on Host + ssh for transfer/run would be fine for me.
16
17 For debugging I saw some support for python is available in gdb but I'm not sure of the
18 environment, would I run gdb on the host or on the target (via gdbserver)?
19 Also, is gdb a viable solution given the interpreted nature of python or I'd better start
20 off with some GUI/IDE?
21
22 I normally use gdb/gdbserver for embedded C debugging so I'm fine with the gdb command
23 line interface.
24
25 thanks,
26