From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 06:47:32
1 On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:08 AM, David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 30 May 2011 21:20:01 +0200, Neil Bothwick wrote about Re:
3 > [gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files:
4 >
5 >>On Mon, 30 May 2011 19:05:10 +0100, David W Noon wrote:
6 > [snip]
7 >>> The only algorithmic approach with which I would feel comfortable
8 >>> would be if the file were checked against the previous contents of a
9 >>> package and found present, but has disappeared from the new contents
10 >>> of that same package.  Even then, I would want manual confirmation.
11 >>
12 >>That omits the most common cause of orphaned files, that the package
13 >>owning it has been unmerged.
14 >
15 > You have just touched on an annoyance of unmerge, in that it does not
16 > clean up configuration files that have been modified.  It removes files
17 > that are still in the same state as when the package was emerged, but
18 > not those modified by the user.  I don't see how user changes make the
19 > file more important than would be in its vanilla state.
20 >
21 > Perhaps an option to remove (by an unmerge, not etc-update or the
22 > like) these genuinely orphaned files could be set in /etc/make.conf.
23
24 The logic appears to be that an unmodified file will be re-instated
25 as-is should the package be re-merged, so nothing changes. A modified
26 config file is more problematic - if the package is re-merged, which
27 version should be used? The old one or the new vanilla one? Presumably
28 the user modified the file last time round for a reason and that
29 reason might still be valid.
30
31 Only one sensible choice remains - present both files to the human
32 user and ask them to decide.
33
34 If memory serves, this is in some doc somewhere, I know I read it long
35 ago but don't remember where.
39 Alan McKinnon
40 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com