From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eix <target> per dir
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 21:10:02
1 On 20/03/2014 22:58, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I often go to /usr/portage/<target-dir>
5 > and browse the packages under a given
6 > category; for example /usr/portage/media-sound
7 >
8 > Rather that looking at the packages one at a time,
9 > It be nice to use (perhaps gentoolkit options therein) syntax/options
10 > to list all the packages in a (dir) group
11 > and the single line description, it batches?
12 >
13 > Thus allowing quickbrowsing by category to decide which packages to install
14 > and test, based on quickly looking at the descriptions.
15 > The output should look something like this?
16 >
17 > media-sound/SmarTagger
19 > <snip>
20 > media-sound/zynaddsubf
24 > Suggestions and ideas, that already exist, are welcome;
25 > or do I need to hack something (ugly)?
28 To search the portage tree, use eix.
29
30 Those dirs are really portage categories, so use the -C <category> option:
31
32 $ eix udev
33 [I] sys-fs/udev
34 ...
35 I] virtual/udev
36 ...
39 $ eix -C sys-fs udev
40 [I] sys-fs/udev
41 ...
44 alanm@khamul ~ $ eix -C virtual udev
45 [I] virtual/udev
46 ...
49 {huge chunks of snippage in there for clarity, but you get the idea what
50 -C does}
53 Alan McKinnon
54 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com