From: Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Cc: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] State of emergency is now in effect.
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 15:20:52
1 On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 at 15:58, Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Since I've installed Gentoo more than a year back I have a small script
3 > in "/etc/portage/postsync.d/" which just contains
4 >
5 > #! /bin/bash
6 > emerge --ask --changed-deps --changed-use --deep --newuse --oneshot \
7 > --update --with-bdeps=y sys-apps/portage
8 >
9 > I'm not sure where I got that from, I thought it was in the Gentoo Hand-
10 > book, but looking there just now I didn't find anything like that. May-
11 > be I invented that myself.
12 >
13 > Am I interpreting you correctly that such a postsync hook is never nec-
14 > essary, that is, that the "portage" package itself is always a built-in
15 > build dependency for every other package?
16
17 No, it is not a build dependency, but it is a part of the @system set,
18 so it will always be included in any @system or @world updates you do.
19 I would not bother updating it especially.
20
21 Regards,
22 Arve