From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About ready to move /usr, /var and /home to LVM.
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 14:53:09
1 I have ran into a issue here. I copied everything over to sdb, my temp
2 drive. When I try to boot it, it still boots from sda which is the
3 primary drive. I can not get it to boot from the copy. I did update
4 the fstab file to point to the new sdb partitions, I use labels for that
5 and they have different names. I also edited grub and told it root was
6 sdb2. When I boot, everything mounted is sda.
7
8 I tried chrooting in and building a init thingy, still boots to sdb.
9
10 What gives here?
11
12 Name Flags Part TypeFS Type [Label] Size (MB)
13 -------------------------------------------------------------------
14 sdb1 Primary ext2 [boot-250g] 197.41
15 sdb2 Primary ext4 [root-250g] 74998.11
16 sdb5 Logical ext4 [home-250g] 50001.48
20 LABEL=boot-250g /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
21 LABEL=root-250g / ext4 defaults 0 1
22 LABEL=home-250g /home ext4 defaults 0 2
25 Those are from the copy. Here is grub:
26
27 title=Initramfs-new_drive
28 root (hd0,0)
29 kernel /bzImage-3.3.1-1 root=/dev/sdb2 init=/sbin/init nox
30 initrd /initramfs-3.3.1-1-tmp.img
31
32 I have done this in the past and it worked but not now. Is this the
33 init thingy mounting sda stuff and then Gentoo carries on from there?
34 If so, how do I tell the init thingy to point to sdb stuff?
35
36 Thoughts?
37
38 Dale
39
43 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
44 how you interpreted my words!
45
46 Miss the compile output? Hint:
47 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"