From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Simplest NTP client for standalone system?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 13:56:46
1 On 29 August 2017 14:52:45 GMT+02:00, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >Hello,
3 >
4 >Any recommendations for a simple NTP client?
5 >
6 >I was surprised to find the clock wrong when I logged into one of my
7 >systems today.
8 >
9 >On another system I have net-misc/ntp installed. On it I have:
10 >
11 > $ ls -1 /etc/runlevels/default/*ntp*
12 > /etc/runlevels/default/ntp-client
13 > /etc/runlevels/default/ntpd
14 > $
15 >
16 >I *think* this is because ntp-client is designed not to make large
17 >adjustments, so ntpd is run at startup in case the clock is too far
18 >out.
19 >
20 >Ideally I'd like a program that performs both roles.
21 >
22 >Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
23 >
24 >Stroller.
25
26 I switched over to chrony some time ago and it actually does what I would logically expect ntpd to do.
27
28 It's in portage.
31 Joost
32 --
33 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.