From: no on3 <ih8u@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cannt open root device ?
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 08:14:57
1 > ----- Original Message -----
2 > From: "Bo Yang" <struggleyb@×××××.com>
3 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
4 > Subject: [gentoo-user] cannt open root device ?
5 > Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:11:18 +0800
8 > Hello everybody :
9 > I know maybe my question is just a piece of cake for you , but
10 > I have struggled with it for 4 days , and I didn't get any answer from
11 > the google and the archive .
12 > So I came here !
13 >
14 > And my problem is that :
15 > I use VMware , and install gentoo linux on the vm which hold a scsi disk
16 > . I compile the linux kernel with scsi support in the kernel self , but
17 > when boot up the kernel panic with the bellow message :
18 > VFS: Cannot open root device "803" or unkonw-block(8,3)
19 > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
20 >
21 > But I have a line in my lilo.conf : root=/dev/sda3
22 >
23 > I have recompile the kernel for many times , but it panic everytime .
24 >
25 > Thanks in advance !
26 >
27 > Best Regard !
34 > --
35 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
38 Although I have never used VMware, I have had the same error message before. It turned out that I had either forgot to put support for the file system in the kernel that my partition was formatted in, or that I had mistyped the root= line. I can also tell you that if you used genkernel to build your kernel (but it sounds like you didn't) it requires several different kernel parameters to boot. Hope this helps.
42 Play 100s of games for FREE! http://games.mail.com/
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list