From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Append string on Kernel builds
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 01:37:18
1 Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de> writes:
2
3 >> I like to use that and put `-$MYHOST' as string. I wondered if there
4 >> is any way to set a numericly incrementing string. Maybe some trick
5 >> syntax that can go in that spot?
6 >
7 > The build system does that automatically as long as you don't "make mrproper",
8 > see "uname -a" output.
9
10 No.. its not the same as what I'm talking about. When you set the
11 item in menuconfig:
12 General Setup/Local Version [...]
13
14 The string you set there is appended to that actual build product
15 like vmlinuz-2.6.26-gentoo-$HOST
16
17 The vmlinuz that gets sent to /boot/ when you say `make install' is
18 named that way, along with the config-XXX and System-XXX that is moved
19 there.
20
21 Keeps things kind of tidy in /boot/ if you are mucking around with
22 several kernels.
23
24 What I asked was if there is some tricky syntax I could use on that
25 kernel setting that would do: linux-2.6.26-gentoo-$HOST-N
26 Where N is an incremented number every time I build the kernel without
27 running `mrproper'.