From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: rebuilding with -e -- problem with output
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 20:21:06
1 Raymond Lillard wrote:
2 > Mark Shields wrote:
3 >
4 >> Perhaps I wasn't clear enough (I apologize, I was only waking up
5 >> then). I changed my make.conf file yesterday and starting recompiling
6 >> my entire system with emerge -ve world &. I used the & because I was
7 >> at work and didn't want the recompile process stopping if my ssh
8 >> session was terminated unexpectedly. It's still compiling today as I
9 >> see pktstat is running, but I want to be able to see the output. Is
10 >> there a way to recapture the output to screen or to a file?
13 > Not that I know of now.
14 >
15 > If asked in advance of starting the "emerge", I would have
16 > advised you to use "nohup".
17 >
18 > man nohup
21 I'm not aware of a way to reconnect with stderr, stdin, and stdout but I know that those file descriptors still exist in /proc/${PID}/fd.
22
23 Normally, in order to accomplish what you want, I would use app-misc/screen. Screen is a very nice solution because you can reattach to an interactive terminal whenever you want.
24
25 Alternatively, you can redirect the emerge output to a log file:
26
27 emerge foo > /var/log/emerge-foo.log 2>&1 &
28
29 Zac
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list