From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PORTAGE_ELOG error
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 22:08:55
1 Neil Bothwick schrieb:
2 > On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 20:17:46 +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
3 >
4 >> I don't know, but it would be a very useful addition - and IMO,
5 >> they could dump that useless feature, that portage can do SMTP
6 >> by itself. That's so un-Unix, so Windows-like :(
7 >
8 > Portage doesn't do SMTP by itself, it uses the Python smtplib module.
9
10 True.
11
12 > Re-using existing software is very unix like
13
14 Sending mail with directly speaking SMTP isn't. That's the job
15 of a MTA.
16
17 >> Yes, it would, but I'd actually not suggest to do so. Installing
18 >> postfix (or any SMTP server, for that matter) just for Portage
19 >> isn't the right way to go. It's too much code, opening too many
20 >> potential problems, which can be sidestepped by making
21 >> portage use /usr/sbin/sendmail instead.
22 >
23 > Why not let portage work with the same SMTP server you use for all other
24 > mail?
25
26 Why make me configure SMTP in two places (MTA and Portage)?
27
28 > If your mail client can send mail, why not tell portage to use the
29 > same route.
30
31 Why not make Portage send mail the same way, the MUA
32 does it - with /usr/sbin/sendmail? That's a standard way
33 of getting mail off a host.
34
35 > There's absolutely no need to use a local MTA if you don't
36 > already have one.
37
38 There's no need to configure the same thing in multiple places.
39 It's really bad style to make users keep the same configuration
40 in multiple places.
41
42 Alexander Skwar
43 --
44 This isn't true in practice -- what we've missed out is Stradivarius's
45 constant. And then the aside: "For those of you who don't know, that's
46 been called by others the fiddle factor..."
47 -- From a 1B Electrical Engineering lecture.
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list