From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo on a raspberry pi with omxplayer
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 01:29:33
1 On 31/12/12 15:02, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 08:35:36 +0800
3 > William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
4 >
5 >>> If your intent is to learn something by all means proceed (you will
6 >>> learn, and lots of it :-). But if you are looking for something to
7 >>> use that works, it's probably only fair you know up front the odds
8 >>> of success are not good.
9 >>>
10 ...
11
12 >> mpeg2 playback?
13 >
14 > Hi Bill,
15 >
16 > If it does what you need, then by all means fire away. If nothing else,
17 > the learning experience will be worth it.
18 >
19 > I don't have a purchased mpeg-2 license, so can't comment on that. All
20 > my content is transcoded to h.264 in mp4 containers, or good old .avi
23 Some numbers ... 1440x1080 off air mpeg2 recording via mythtv served
24 over nfs.
25
26 OMXplayer on framebuffer using the licenced hw decoding uses 20% and
27 load is just under .5
28
29 I need to test divx for some movies Ive previously transcoded but the
30 majority will be mpeg2 from myth.
31
32 Lessons learnt!:
33
34 Wasted "forever" compiling X and ratpoison only to find they are not
35 needed as omxplayer does fine on framebuffer
36
37 ext4 sucks (I dont know why I always start with the "recommended ext4"
38 as all the guides suggest, only to find it sucks and I lose data etc ...
39 in future start with reiserfs or maybe btrfs and forget the stone age.
40
41 Once I got it stable I synced portage and started compiling ffmpeg ...
42 ran out of inodes. So Ive now got portage over nfs but ext4 has gotta
43 go (yes, I know I can reinstall with more inodes, but why go with it
44 when there is better). Maybe someone can suggest something?
45
46 omxplayer needs some work as I have only minimal control from a keyboard
47 (basicly "q" for quit :)
48
49 BillK