From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seek advice: converting Sabayon to Gentoo ?
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 22:50:37
1 I didn't say anything about my hardware. The main hiccough, installing
2 gentoo, has been the ath5k module, which was at one time, I think, ath_pci.
3 Newer kernels may support this out of the box, in a gentoo install. Beside
4 that, dual monitors are working with the nvidia drivers.
5
6 Another problem, a MAJOR problem, has been a recent marriage of pata and
7 sata drives, all as scsi, /dev/sdX. With Gentoo, say a year or so ago, I
8 had no problem with mixing four drives, two sata and two pata. Ubuntu
9 wasn't able to differentiate, and even on a recent install I was forced to
10 edit grub.conf (or grub.lst) before the system could boot off the right
11 drive. Former /dev/hda became /dev/sda1, and former /dev/sda1 was
12 recognized as /dev/sda2 or /dev/sda3. UUID numbers were confusing and I
13 then blamed Ubuntu for moving ahead too quickly. I lost a bunch of archived
14 material due to that issue. More recently, I see that Sabayon is also using
15 UUID numbers in fstab. Still, I am now reluctant every time I try to
16 upgrade or install. My recent attempt to update Ubuntu resulted in,
17 eventually the loss of my 90GB /home directory. I will never know what I
18 lost. (Yes, I know, should have backed it all up.) It was my fault again,
19 but the failure of grub again to recognize the drive on which I had
20 installed, or the need to shuffle boot priorities. I am still learning how
21 all this works. Sabayon also had the same issue, so I moved partitions and
22 now have the system booting off of /dev/sda .
23
24 All this means I am pleased that sabayon is working, and I am able to treat
25 it as a gentoo system, without TOO much tweaking. I think I cannot go back
26 to Ubuntu, as easy as that was.
27
28 That's about the hardware issues.
32 Alan