From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel Panic fglrx
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 18:29:06
1 Am Montag, 24. Oktober 2011, 18:11:45 schrieb 4k3nd0:
2 > On 10/24/11 17:31, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > Am Montag, 24. Oktober 2011, 16:36:00 schrieb 4k3nd0:
6 > >> hi guys,
7 > >>
8 > >> somehow my fglrx is unstable. Got sometime a crashing fglrx that
9 > >> pulling down the hole system. Someone maybe a idea to fix this?
10 > >>
11 > >> http://pastebin.com/izFnWD7N
12 > >
13 > > [fglrx] ASIC hang happened
14 > >
15 > > is a message indicating a deadlock in a compute-kernel (shader,
16 > > GPGPU), which in almost all cases is a userspace bug or the timeout
17 > > in fglrx is too low for the kernel in question. I'm no expert in
18 > > tweaking fglrx, but afaict there's nothing you can do except wait
19 > > for an update of the driver. You could also try the
20 > > opensource-drivers (I think r600 in your case), cause those do
21 > > their own heuristics to determine hanging or deadlocked compute-
22 > > kernels.
23 > >
24 > > Best, Michael
25 >
26 > Thank you. Do you think using a newer version of xserver would help?
27
28 Always worth a try imo. But I wouldn't expect too much from doing this. The
29 driver thinks, that a compute-kernel hangs or is deadlocked. If this
30 assumption is correct, the userspace app needs a fix otherwise the driver is
31 faulty.
32 Is this problem related to running a special app or DE? Or does it happen
33 "always"?
34
35 Best,
36 Michael