From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Council vs Umbrella Corp ?
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 19:15:34
1 On 8/28/20 2:10 PM, james wrote:
2 > On 8/28/20 1:20 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Jack wrote:
4 >>> On 8/28/20 12:33 PM, james wrote:
5 >>>> On 8/27/20 10:11 PM, Dale wrote:
6 >>>>> james wrote:
7 >>>>>> Gentoo,
8 >>>>>>
9 >>>>>>
10 >>>>>>
11 >>>>>> https://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2020/08/25/is-an-umbrella-organization-a-good-choice-for-gentoo/
12 >>>>>>
13 >>>>>>
14 >>>>>>
15 >>>>>> Surely some of the business/legal savvy folks want to "chime in"
16 >>>>>> on Sir Gorny's proposal?
17 >>>>>>
18 >>>>>>
19 >>>>>> I just read this on 'hacker news'
20 >>>>>>
21 >>>>>> It just sounds like mostly a lack of fund raising to operate?
22 >>>>>>
23 >>>>>>
24 >>>>>> James
25 >>>>>>
26 >>>>>>
27 >>>>>
28 >>>>>
29 >>>>> There's several issues that lead to this.� For ages, the
30 >>>>> financial books were not kept up to date.� From what I recall,
31 >>>>> some paperwork was lost which made it difficult to impossible to do
32 >>>>> the needed IRS filings.� Things on that part seemed to snowball
33 >>>>> from there.� In the past few years or so, that has been dealt
34 >>>>> with and from what I've read, it is now up to date and they are
35 >>>>> trying to get back in good standing with the IRS and other Govt
36 >>>>> entities.� I think I read where most of the hard work as already
37 >>>>> been done, just needs time to kick in.� It isn't hard to get into
38 >>>>> that situation, it just takes one year with a mistake to trigger
39 >>>>> bad things.� It takes a lot of work to get it cleared up tho.�
40 >>>>> All of us should be grateful to the ones who put in the hard work
41 >>>>> to get that taken care of.� I'm sure it took a lot of effort and
42 >>>>> time to get that done.� I'm sure it was boring as heck to do as
43 >>>>> well.� Some of us would likely have no hair left.
44 >>>>>
45 >>>>> Another issue, not many want to run the foundation.� The devs
46 >>>>> mostly want to write code.� They aren't to much interested in
47 >>>>> running the foundation part of it.� A few do because it is needed
48 >>>>> and they do their best, some even go far beyond that, but they
49 >>>>> really want to write code.� That's what developers came to Gentoo
50 >>>>> for after all. Since there is two different bodies that run Gentoo
51 >>>>> in different ways, it further reduces the number of people wanting
52 >>>>> to do the job.� The foundation part is from my understanding,
53 >>>>> bureaucratic paperwork.� Who wants to do that for free?�
54 >>>>> There's not many. Basically, if you run for a position on the
55 >>>>> foundation, it's good odds you get it because usually just enough
56 >>>>> run to fill the open spots.� I often wonder, do they draw straws
57 >>>>> to pick people to run just so things keep chugging along??� LOL
58 >>>>>
59 >>>>> Then there is the costs.� It costs to deal with all the paperwork
60 >>>>> and filings.� There's state filings as well as federal.�
61 >>>>> Missing either of those can cause trouble for the other and also
62 >>>>> get expensive and time consuming to correct.� Again, very few
63 >>>>> want to deal with it.� The few that do likely do it because
64 >>>>> Gentoo needs it not because they are jumping up and down wanting to
65 >>>>> do it.� It's what keeps Gentoo going. It's cheaper to join some
66 >>>>> other group like has been talked about for years and let them take
67 >>>>> a percentage of the money and them as professionals handle all that
68 >>>>> nasty paperwork and filings.
69 >>>>>
70 >>>>> My personal opinion.� I'm still leaning to keep Gentoo as it is
71 >>>>> but I'm not the one doing all the boring work either.� My
72 >>>>> concern, Gentoo joins some group and it ends badly for Gentoo.�
73 >>>>> Maybe they screw up something and that puts Gentoo and maybe
74 >>>>> everyone else in the group in jeopardy with govt entities or
75 >>>>> lawsuits.� On the other hand, if Gentoo doesn't have the right
76 >>>>> people, they could do the same thing to themselves.� The people
77 >>>>> who do run for those seats do try their best even if something goes
78 >>>>> wrong.� Thing is, it doesn't take much to run afoul of govt
79 >>>>> entities or trigger a lawsuit. Gentoo has been lucky in that
80 >>>>> regard.� There is no easy answer to this.� Either way has
81 >>>>> advantages.� Same can be said for disadvantages as well.
82 >>>>>
83 >>>>> I'm sure there is more that isn't known to the public and I'm sure
84 >>>>> some things are escaping my mind at the moment.� Either way,
85 >>>>> whatever keeps Gentoo going and successful, that is what needs to
86 >>>>> be done.� Since I don't have a crystal ball, I'm not sure which
87 >>>>> is best long term.
88 >>>>>
89 >>>>> Now someone add more to this.� ;-)
90 >>>>>
91 >>>>> Dale
92 >>>>>
93 >>>>> :-)� :-)
94 >>>>
95 >>>> The referenced article says this:
96 >>>>
97 >>>> "Right now we�re already relying on a CPA to handle our filings.
98 >>>> For a commercial company (we are one now), the cost is $1500 a year."
99 >>>>
100 >>>> Seems way too high. I pay $500/yr for a C corp here in Florida; a
101 >>>> firm that that is "outstanding" with the US IRS.
102 >>>>
103 >>>>
104 >>>> "If we wanted to go for proper non-profit, the estimated cost is
105 >>>> between $2000 and $3000 a year."
106 >>>>
107 >>>>
108 >>>> Still seems way to high. With Gentoo, we can use Any state, so why
109 >>>> not move the home to a low cost state?
110 >>>>
111 >>>> Many corps use Delaware, just for that reason.
112 >>> I think most of those listed numbers are not just the official filing
113 >>> fees, but include paying a CPA to do the filings.� While certified
114 >>> CPA is not required to do any of those filings, I suspect it is now
115 >>> that way because historically, the volunteer who was supposed to do
116 >>> it didn't.� Paying someone does seem excessively expensive, but you
117 >>> know it will get done, and if not, you have some legal recourse.
118 >>>>
119 >>>>
120 >>>> "If we were to pass full accounting to an external company, the
121 >>>> rough estimate I�ve been given by Trustees is $2400. So once our
122 >>>> volunteer bookkeeper retires, we�re talking of around $4000 +
123 >>>> larger taxes for a corporation, or $4500 to $5500 + very little
124 >>>> taxes for a non-profit."
125 >>>>
126 >>>>
127 >>>> Again, these numbers are WAY TOO HIGH. Shop around!
128 >>>> Many states are way less expensive.
129 >>> Again, I think those numbers are to pay someone to handle the
130 >>> filings, not just the fees.� I don't suppose it really changes much
131 >>> about the discussion.
132 >>>>
133 >>>>
134 >>>> Ok so ask why don't I volunteer? I've been using gentoo, since 2002.
135 >>>> I have made many enemies, because of my views on the whole "install"
136 >>>> abortion. WE could easily help another loosely coupled, gentoo
137 >>>> derivative distro
138 >>>> create a robust, easy install system, whilst leaving "Gentoo Proper"
139 >>>> as an enclave for the brilliant.
140 >>>>
141 >>>> It there were agreement to that sort "diatribe", enthusiastically,
142 >>>> THEN I could help the trustee situation, and help bring in lots of
143 >>>> cash to pay devs for what every reason the technical leaders decide.
144 >>>>
145 >>>> CoreOS, gentoo-install (Mike Mol), CloverOS, and dozens and dozens
146 >>>> (over the years) have solved this problem, bot did not receive any
147 >>>> love or praise from the Gentoo devs......
148 >>>>
149 >>>>
150 >>>> So, if Gentoo wants money, as a charity, it is so simple, it hurts.
151 >>>> BUT a few things have to change (non-negotiable)!
152 >>>>
153 >>>>
154 >>>> I've done this too many times with dozens of folks. ALL are
155 >>>> multi-millionaires. MONEY is easy, but it does come with strings
156 >>>> (actually very few for something like gentoo).� The current
157 >>>> situation is pathetic and easy to fix. Be warned, when it comes to
158 >>>> money, and I am on the responsibility chain, I tend to be a bit
159 >>>> dictatorial. Once the money starts flowing in, I'd look to hand
160 >>>> things off to a much younger techie, so he(she) can build there
161 >>>> resume and I can drift back into oblivion,
162 >>>> in a cabin, in the woods.......
163 >>>>
164 >>>>
165 >>>> For me, it just breaks my heart to see Gentoo needed to have one of
166 >>>> our (currently) awesome coders have to "prostrate" himself publicly
167 >>>> like this. But, if a broken system/leadership is broken, then that
168 >>>> is the sign things need to change. This has been a recurring
169 >>>> situation, for 2 decades now. Just look around, most other distros
170 >>>> have so much 'action' going on, they are rolling in cabbage.
171 >>>>
172 >>>> Perhaps the Gentoo council members ought to engage the gentoo-user
173 >>>> list, directly? Surely others would have solution, very viable, to
174 >>>> what I have proposed?
175 >>>>
176 >>>> The second thing I'd do, if on the council, is have a direct program
177 >>>> for High School age kids to use Gentoo to become entrepreneurs.
178 >>>> That's right, how to form a C-corp, write some codes and start
179 >>>> receiving funds directly into their C-corp. Minimum goal? Self
180 >>>> Funding for Secondary education. Learn Business via gentoo, and
181 >>>> coding "from the masters" aka gentoo devs.
182 >>>>
183 >>>> There are tons of methods for young entrepreneurs to access funding
184 >>>> and grants, if you "get your house in order". For that, it means a
185 >>>> simple Rasp. Pi. 4 sourcecode install? The microprocessor companies
186 >>>> would line up to build boards, for these kids. EASY as PIE!
187 >>>>
188 >>>> Be Bold and Be Bad_ass, if you want to live and prosper in this day
189 >>>> and age.
190 >>>>
191 >>>>
192 >>>> painfully,
193 >>>> James
194 >>>>
195 >>>>
196 >>>
197 >>>
200 >> I agree there is likely more done with those fees than just filing
201 >> paperwork.� I've read there is a CPA involved and I recall lawyer
202 >> being mentioned a few times too.
203 >
204 > CPAs are a dime a dozen, if you know where to look. I have a board
205 > certified, Lawyer+CPA that does my hi end stuff for free. But I give him
206 > much more in the way of technology and engineering skills. He is filthy
207 > rich, owns an island in the Carribean and travels the world.
208
209 It'd be an outstanding opportunity to put Gentoo on a cell phone, for
210 guys like this to use. Or perhaps get a gentoo dev to put Gentoo on a
211 cell phone and give a free one to the governor's office in that state
212 and say
213 "wow, look what a high school kid did with Gentoo". Governors just love
214 that sort of promo.....
217 > Surely Calif. and Texas and Delaware are full of such masters of the law,
218 > taxes and charities....
221 > �> Another thing, some devs aren't even in the
222 >> USA.� I'm sure any expenses related to things they do are more
223 >> complicated to file.
224 >
225 > Wrong. The get a credit card and put expenses on that, that benefit a US
226 > charity; 100% tax deductible,� if the expenditure "benefits or is
227 > essential" to the charity. It's call "case law". Any CPA, with a lawyer
228 > in good standing in the US, knows all about this. Gentoo is FAMOUS,
229 > globally. USE IT! WE can get a real bad has to handle gentoo, legally
230 > and financially. But, surely there will be new rules, some do not like.
231 > TOUGH.
232
233 Those expenditures, by a gentoo dev, anywhere globally, are 100% tax
234 deductible,
235 as long at that dev follows USA IRS tax rules, including BS fees by
236 foreign countries. Dirt Simple to implement.
239 > �> Since the GSoC thing is almost always
240 >> international, I'm sure it requires more detailed tracking and time to
241 >> compile the info. Given that air traffic, read that as mail
242 >> services, between the USA and other countries is shutdown due to the
243 >> bug, that may complicate things even more.
244 >>
245 >> I think the person who is handling things now might could do the
246 >> paperwork and filing BUT it takes time.
247
248 Sorry, that was a very emotional response, with too many errors. Fix below.
251 > Dude. It's call "gnucash". Those that act as or get paid or spend Gentoo
252 > funds, input the data, the same day, into a Gentoo-GNUcash system. At
253 > tax time, it takes an accountant, minutes to generate a tax return.
254
255 I have done this for a decade now, with CPAs loving gnucash. TIMELY
256 documentation, fixes all of this. If it does not pass USA-IRS deduction
257 rules, which are very lenient, just like USA churches, then there are
258 rarely issues. Liquor and massages are excluded.
261 > Initiation and use of overseas accounting, accounts and such is a receipt
262 > for an audit. DONT DO THAT!>�� = DIRT SIMPLE.
263 > Done it for decades. You want to please the IRS?
264 > Dont do business with China. DIRT SIMPLE.
267 Let the Chinese techies form Gentoo-China and deal with the Chinese
268 government, and raise their own funds. Problem Solved.
271 >> I think they spent most of their time trying to fix history not more
272 >> recent things.
273 >
274 > That is done, move on.
275
276 It's a non-issue now. Gentoo, currently in good standing. James, via
277 lawyers, know how to put and keep gentoo in "pristine standing" with the
278 USA IRS. Dirt simple, if you have the right attorneys.
282 >> From the sound of it, getting back in to the good graces of the IRS
283 >> was a difficult and time consuming ordeal.
286 > That's because they used THE WRONG LAWYER!
287 >
288 > �> Let's keep in mind, that person as far as I know
289 >> is not paid.
290 >
291 > Fix the broken/arcane install, and we'll have plenty of cash to utilize.
294 >> They spend time on it as they can just like devs do with code. If
295 >> they have a bad week at work, that could mean nothing Gentoo gets done
296 >> that week.After all, real life has to be looked after first.
297 >
298 > Timely entries into a Gentoo-gnucash system fixes all of that,
299 > instantaneously. NO EXCEPTIONS.
300
301 A few trips to DC, meetings, and new behavior will put Gentoo on the
302 "short list" for many global charity functions, and includes legal
303 funding. Big churches fly around in private Jets, all 100% tax free. You
304 think with the right lawyer(s) Gentoo cannot impress the world?
305
306 Again, the right lawyer.
309 >> As to forking, its been done before. As a general rule, someone
310 >> thinks they have a much better plan so off they go. Most don't make
311 >> it long and so far, I don't think any of the survivors have come close
312 >> to the success of Gentoo itself.� I've never really seen the sense
313 >> in forking as long as Gentoo is still working and serving a persons need.
314
315 So you saying that "smarty pants" did not make money off of CoreOS? Are
316 you sure you want to stand by that position? Any idea what RedHat and
317 IBM paid smarty pants? He's on food stamps now, right?
320 > EASE of installation mean more members means more spending money to make
321 > the distro, great again.
322
323 And it gives kids(HS and college) HOPE!
326 >> Sort of waiting for Rich to chime in here. He likely knows more of
327 >> what is going on plus may remember things better than me.� ;-)
328 >
329 > I have a history of pissing off folks with the truth. The truth is
330 > thousands of corporations have made billions of dollars with gentoo. The
331 > retarded installation system is just a filter to keep others,
332 > with less money, from having access to an easy gentoo install.
333 >>
334 >> Dale
335 >>
336 >> :-)� :-)
337 >
338 > Dale, my strong response to you, is not a personal attack or in any way
339 > negative. I appreciate your contributions to gentoo and this tread-idea.
340 >
341 > But when one of our technical leaders, mgorny, who is totally awesome,
342 > has to prostrate himself publicly on "Hacker News" it is time for a
343 > drastic change, financially. If others have that fix, please step
344 > forward. The fact that nobody wants to volunteer for the Gentoo councils,
345 > translates into this distro is in trouble.
346 >
347 > So here is a little further detail on what I propose. Each of the Gentoo
348 > council members needs to be responsible, individually, for bringing in
349 > funds to Gentoo. The funds they each bring in, are under singular
350 > authority to spend, to the benefit of the Gentoo distribution. (IRS RULES)
351 >
352 > Half of those funds, raised by that council member, go directly to the
353 > techies to decide how to spend (a budget). (IRS LEGALLY)
354 >
355 > The other half are directly managed by that council member; to be spent
356 > as he/she sees fit. The US IRS has rules, standards and plethora of
357 > documents delineating the details of what can and what cannot be spent
358 > however.
359
360 MUST BE FOLLOWED
363 > A council member, from say England, could manage how 1/2 of what they
364 > raise as to how it is spent. It could even be "english centric" but must comply with USA
365 > IRS standards. Our council could be expanded to many members, from other
366 > countries, with a centric goal of spending Gentoo funds
367 > (1/2 of what they raise) in any country they choose subject to USA tax
368 > standards). Realize many churches in the USA (501-c) do just that. WHY
369 > the USA? I'm glad you asked. Charities, in good standing with the USA
370 > IRS, can pretty much articulate GLOBALLY, without fear. Most foreign
371 > government, imho, have less standing in the world. It is codified as TAX
372 > TREATIES and most governments of the world have such agreements with the USA IRS.
373 > It's the gold standard for global finance.� England use to be pretty
374 > close to bad-ass, but the whole EU clusterF put quite a tarnish,
375 > internationally on the English banking system.
376 > YMMV.
379 > DIRT simple to fix. James is going to focus on the USA,
380 > and getting thousands of high school kids into their own corporations, being a
381 > Gentoo dev; and MAKING MONEY THEY CONTROL.
382
383 College kids, with technical (gentoo) skills) can easily follow the model.
386 > Without the council AND the Gentoo devs signing on to a program like
387 > this; at 100% my costs, to prime the pump, then I'm not interested in active participation.
388 >
389 > Dale, you are deeply appreciated. If other technical moguls disagree,
390 > let them form Geetoo-whatever, in another country, gentoo-china(?) and
391 > run their own charity according to those rules.
392
393 https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/taxtreaty.asp
394
395 and yes the USA IRS has an "obfuscation approach" on this subject:
396
397 https://www.irs.gov/publications/p514
398
399 That's why the right CPA-ATTORNEY is key. Our IRS obfuscating the truth
400 so charities pay more than necessary? NO, that cannot be true?
401
402 Just follow the example of one of the "megga churches",
403 but they "have the right attorney".
404
405 So to start, simplify by just keeping the funds and accounting, here in
406 the good old USA. Let others start gentoo centric charities in other
407 countries. Dirt Simple.
412 > Truly, there is no other globally recognized tax system
413 > like the USA-IRS (bad ass && world class open). That's why in times of
414 > trouble, entrepreneurs world wide flock to the "dollar". Also, being in
415 > elite standing with the USA-IRS opens many doors to enhance and
416 > promote and deploy GENTOO globally.
419 > sincerely,
420 > James Horton, PE
421 > (actually in good standing)
424 I hope these fixes and additions are more pleasing to the reader.
425
426 James