From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bisect a problem going back months?
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 19:52:06
1 On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Paul Hartman
5 >> <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>> I'm wondering if there is a Gentoo way to bisect a bug that's crept
8 >>>> into my 64-bit Intel-based system (Intel process, motherboard and
9 >>>> graphics) over the last few months. Fundamentally when this bug
10 >>>> appears it generates a complete X crash back to the gdm login. My
11 >>>> suspicion is that it's related to the Gentoo push to use firefox-bin
12 >>>> and 32-bit Flash until some security issues were addressed but I don't
13 >>>> know that for sure.
14 >>>>
15 >>>> Are there specific overlays I'd want to add using layman that would
16 >>>> allow me to get back to earlier versions of the Intel graphics driver,
17 >>>> 64-bit Firefox and the now masked versions of Flash I was using say
18 >>>> 2-3 months ago? At this point I don't know for sure that what I need
19 >>>> isn't in portage and just masked. I'll start reviewing that this
20 >>>> evening. This post was primarily just to figure out what my options
21 >>>> might be.
22 >>>>
23 >>>> I've never used sunrise or sunset, etc. Maybe it's as easy as adding
24 >>>> one of those to layman and then bisecting my way through some
25 >>>> experiments to figure out where the problem first appeared?
26 >>>
27 >>> You can get old ebuilds from http://sources.gentoo.org, and maybe take
28 >>> whole portage tree snapshot from a given point in time (never tried
29 >>> it). Or maybe there are portage webrsync snapshots going back (again,
30 >>> never used them).
31 >>>
32 >>> If you have demerge installed it should have taken snapshots of which
33 >>> packages you had installed at each time you ran emerge as well. I
34 >>> think that'll still depend on those old versions still being in the
35 >>> tree, which for security fixes etc they usually are not kept, but all
36 >>> should be on http://sources.gentoo.org
37 >>>
38 >>
39 >> Thanks Paul. This is something to look at.
40 >>
41 >> It seems at first glance it's roughly equivalent to what's on my
42 >> system right now. For instance concerning adobe-flash I see only one
43 >> small difference - the oldest 9.0.159 version differs shows up in eix
44 >> on the machine but isn't at sources.gentoo.org. That's not bad.
45 >>
46 >> I believe you are right that I could probably somehow figure out by
47 >> hand using /var/log/emerge.log what was installed after a certain
48 >> date, or possibly figure out what version was running at a certain
49 >> date. I wonder if there are any tools for figuring out the installed
50 >> versions back in time. I don't save anything other than emerge.log and
51 >> I don't know for sure than an old rev of that file was thrown away at
52 >> some point and the file started over again. I suspect many ebuilds
53 >> that I've used are no longer in sources.gentoo.org as almost certainly
54 >> I used Flash 4.0, Flash 5.0, etc. sometime along time ago.
55 >>
56 >> Thanks for the pointer.
57 >
58 > Everything should be in sources.gentoo.org going back more than 10
59 > years. The trick is that you need to click the "Show dead files" link
60 > to see the versions that have been removed from the tree. For example
61 > this link shoes many adobe-flash revisions including 9.0.159:
62 >
63 > http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/www-plugins/adobe-flash/?hideattic=0
64 >
65 > Sorry I didn't mention that in my first message. :)
69 Ah, very cool, and don't worry about not mentioning it. I should have
70 seen it myself.
71
72 So basically then anything that's there I could add to some sort of
73 personal overlay (docs are out there somewhere I'm sure) and then I
74 could continue to use this stuff into the future if necessary.
75
76 Thanks!
77
78 - Mark