From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] major problem after samba update
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 16:45:23
1 lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > covici@××××××××××.com writes:
4 >
5 > > lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> covici@××××××××××.com writes:
8 > >>
9 > >> > lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
10 > >> >
11 > >> >> covici@××××××××××.com writes:
12 > >> >>
13 > >> >> > lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
14 > >> >> >
15 > >> >> >> covici@××××××××××.com writes:
16 > >> >> >>
17 > >> >> >> > Hi. I just upgraded from samba 4.1.x to 4.2.7 and in one of my shares,
18 > >> >> >> > I can not access any subfolders of that share. It usually gives me some
19 > >> >> >> > kind of windows permission error, or just location not available.
20 > >> >> >> > Windows tells me I can't even display the advanced security settings for
21 > >> >> >> > any folder. Anyone know what they did and how to fix? There is a hard
22 > >> >> >> > blocker to downgrading, so maybe something is up.
23 > >> >> >> >
24 > >> >> >> > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
25 > >> >> >>
26 > >> >> >> Do they have a changelog which you looked at? Can you mount these
27 > >> >> >> shares from a Linux client?
28 > >> >> >
29 > >> >> > These are on a Linux server, so there is no problem there.
30 > >> >>
31 > >> >> Can you definitely mount the share from a remote Linux client without
32 > >> >> problems?
33 > >> >>
34 > >> >> > Changelog doesn't say anything but the version number.
35 > >> >
36 > >> > I don't have any remote linux client and this is samba, used so that
37 > >> > windows can access the share.
38 > >>
39 > >> You could make a copy of everything in the inaccessible share, make a
40 > >> new share with settings identical to the settings of the shares that are
41 > >> still accessible when copying has finished, and try to access the new
42 > >> share with a remote client.
43 > >>
44 > >> If you can access the new share, either something with the old one is
45 > >> weird, or you have changed something like permissions or extended
46 > >> attributes by copying.
47 > >>
48 > >>
49 > >> If you cannot access the new share, try a different kernel version (or
50 > >> try a different kernel version first). I've had a case in which a
51 > >> kernel would freeze/panic when the directory contents of a directory
52 > >> that was exported via NFS were displayed with ls on a NFS client.
53 > >>
54 > >> IIRC samba uses kernel support on the server. Perhaps you have a
55 > >> version mismatch between the new samba version and what the kernel
56 > >> supports.
57 > >
58 > > The share is my whole system, so obviously I cannot copy to a new
59 > > share.
60 >
61 > You can still try a different kernel, preferably one that is compatible
62 > with the samba version you're using.
63 >
64 > Other than that, I don't understand why anyone would try to export the
65 > whole system like that. It sounds like a recipe for failure to me.
66
67 Thanks for your response.
68
69 I have been using the same kernel for a while, so I don't think that is
70 the problem. Its 4.1 the latest lts.
73 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
74 How do
75 you spend it?
76
77 John Covici