From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] dhcpd versus fixed IP addresses
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2020 17:04:50
1 A few days ago there was a short (VDSL) internet outage in my general
2 area. I found out to my horror that dialup no longer worked (bit rot or
3 whatever) for pppconfig and/or pon. A year ago, I would've taken my
4 notebook to the local library or Starbuck's or fast-food joint; this
5 year, not so much. The connection eventually came back, but this was a
6 wake-up call.
7
8 I decided to get a low-end cable-internet account as backup. 10/1 is
9 easily sufficient for 1080p Youtube or 720p Netflix (the max for Google
10 Chrome on a PC). I haven't yet received the TC4400 cable modem, but I
11 understand that it only does dhcp. Let's see if I have this right for
12 switching switching my desktop back and forth to/from dhcpd/fixed IP...
13
14 emerge dhcpcd (one time only)
15
16 From fixed to dhcpc
17 ===================
18 Step 1) Rename /etc/conf.d/net and execute "touch /etc/conf.d/net"
19 Step 2) Manually start up dhcpcd service
20 Step 3) /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
21
22 From dhcpc to fixed
23 ===================
24 Step 1) Restore original /etc/conf.d/net
25 Step 2) Manually kill dhcpcd service
26 Step 3) /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
27
28 This could cause problems when I want to transfer files between my
29 computers. Here's part of an example /etc/hosts file...
30
31 192.168.1.249 i3
32 192.168.1.250 i660
33 192.168.1.251 d531
34 192.168.1.2 thimk
35
36 If IP addresses are assigned at random, this obviously won't work.
37 Any suggestions?
40 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
41 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications