From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnome-base/gnome-libs-1.4.2 masked?
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 18:24:58
1 On 11/19/06, Vladimir G. Ivanovic <vgivanovic@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > No and maybe. I don't use gtkdiff, so I obviously don't care, but a lot
3 > of the packages contain libraries. I don't know if I use them or not.
4
5 Are these listed in your world (/var/lib/portage/world) file? If so,
6 remove them, do an "emerge -Nuv world". After that, emerge --depclean
7 --pretend will show you things that are not needed anymore. And of
8 course, --pretend --tree is the best way of determining what wants to
9 pull in certain libraries. So you can remove them, and run emerge -v
10 --pretend --tree world to determine what is pulling in these things.
11
12 > Or is every user expected to go through the list of package dependencies
13 > (direct and indirect), examine them, and make a decision for each package?
14
15 emerge --depclean can be used to clean out unneeded libraries, but
16 that won't work if your world file is polluted with a bunch of
17 unnecessary things. So in that case, yeah, you will have to things
18 "manually".
19
20 -Richard
21 --