From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternative kernels
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 21:24:05
1 On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 3:10 PM, Alec Ten Harmsel
2 <alec@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > On 10/26/2014 04:16 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 >> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Alec Ten Harmsel
6 >> <alec@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
7 >>> On 10/26/2014 03:47 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
8 >>>> Am 26.10.2014 um 20:09 schrieb Alexander Kapshuk:
9 >>>>> I've been using gentoo-sources for a while now.
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> I remember reading on this list about some users using alternative
12 >>>>> kernels on their gentoo systems. My understanding is that amongst some
13 >>>>> of the other alternatives, besides the genkernel, which I'm not
14 >>>>> interested in using, are vanilla-sources available in the portage
15 >>>>> tree, and the sources available on kernel.org.
16 >>>>> I'd appreciate being given some pointers on how the folk here maintain
17 >>>>> their alternative kernels.
18 >>>>>
19 >>>>> Thanks.
20 >>>>>
21 >>>>> .
22 >>>>>
23 >>>> I let portage update the vanilla-sources and once in a while a build and
24 >>>> install a new kernel. At the moment I am on 3.12.23. Maybe I install
25 >>>> 3.12.30 tonight. If I find a good reason to do so.
26 >>>>
27 >>> What happens when you run `emerge --depclean`?
28 >>>
29 >>> I always un-keyword the exact version of vanilla-sources that I'm
30 >>> running since I update and depclean on a weekly basis. I'm not a huge
31 >>> fan of having a bunch of kernels under /usr/src/linux-* but only having
32 >>> a couple of them compiled, but to each his own I guess.
33 >> I have sys-kernel/vanilla-sources in package.keywords, unversioned. So
34 >> depclean cleans away the older versions, and I keep the latest one.
35 >
36 > I was mostly asking Volker since he has vanilla-sources unmasked without
37 > specifying a version but is currently running the 3.12.23 kernel. Little
38 > crazy imnho, but whatever.
39 >
40 >> I'm on 3.17.1 right now, but the moment 3.17.2 comes out I will switch
41 >> to it in all my machines: with kerninst is all of it mostly
42 >> automatized.
43 >
44 > Wow, daredevil right here ;).
45
46 I don't think so: I haven't had a single failure with new kernels
47 since the early days of 3.x. That's including server, desktop, laptop
48 and media center.
49
50 > I usually wait until the current release
51 > gets to the 3rd or 4th revision before updating to make sure all the
52 > bugs are out.
53
54 If I understand correctly, that was the smart thing to do in the awful
55 old days, when we had the even middle numbers for stable releases and
56 the odd ones for unstable. However, in the new (and IMO, better)
57 rolling releases, the bugs are ironed out in the RC series.
58
59 Specially with relatively new hardware, going with the latest relese
60 is usually always a good call, IMO.
61
62 > Had a few times where my laptop was not a fan of new
63 > kernels - 3.16.1 wouldn't boot, for example.
64
65 That sounds like a bug. Also, sometimes some kernel options change
66 name or location, and your old configuration file should be updated.
67 I'm not saying that's what happened, but it could be.
68
69 >> And with systemd, rebooting to a new kernel takes just a few seconds ;)
70 >
71 > Must be nice; my laptop is so old that it boots slowly regardless of my
72 > choice of init system.
73
74 You should try getting it an SSD. It brings back old laptops from the
75 grave: most desktop software has been I/O bound for some time, and
76 with a fast SSD, even an old laptop can become usuable again.
77
78 Regards.
79 --
80 Canek Peláez Valdés
81 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias