From: Ramces Tampo-og Red <rtr@××××××××.xyz>
To: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reproducible Installation Lists?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 14:20:02
1 Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> writes:
2 > On 26/02/2022 11:07, Dale wrote:
3 >> Ramces Tampo-og Red wrote:
4 >>> Hello list,
5 >>>
6 >>> I'm a sort-of newbie gentoo user and I just wanted to ask if what I'm
7 >>> thinking is possible or if I'm just being stupid. But either way, I was
8 >>> wondering if it is possible to export a list of all installed software
9 >>> in emerge and use that to recreate on another gentoo install.
10 >>>
11 >>> I have a bunch of PCs that are all similarly specced and I wanted to
12 >>> create a minimal install "template" for all of them. If not, would it be
13 >>> possible to pipe-in to emerge from stdin an output of all of the package
14 >>> names that I wanted it to emerge?
15 >>>
16 >>> I'm really sorry if this might be a stupid question. I'd appreciate any
17 >>> guidance in the matter.
18 >>>
19 >>> Cheers!
20 >>>
21 >>
22 >> There is a file that contains all the packages you have installed.  It
23 >> is located here:
24 >>
25 >> /var/lib/portage/world
26 >>
27 >> One could copy that file to another system and do a emerge @world to
28 >> install the same list of packages.  Depending on what all you have
29 >> installed, it could confuse emerge and not be doable.  In the past, I
30 >> had a copy of the file and I emerged them a few at a time.  It's worth
31 >> trying by just coping the file tho.  It just might work.
32 >
33 > Someone a while ago gave me a tip along the lines of
34 >
35 > emerge < /var/lib/portage/world
36 >
37 > I was building a new system and they said this was a good way of getting
38 > the new system to have the same packages as the old one. Mind you, I
39 > think I'd now rather just print off @world and be choosy in what I
40 > re-emerge.
43 After reading the responses in the thread, this appears to be one way to
44 do it. Though I think adding it to a set could be a cleaner way? I
45 haven't tried all of the suggestions yet.
46
47 > Oh - and for quite a while I used the -b -k flags a lot, mostly emerging
48 > on the slower system actually then installing the binary on the fast
49 > one. Sounds odd, but the faster, newer system had a habit of crashing
50 > during an emerge ... Both systems now gone to the Computer Centre in the
51 > Sky :-)
54 That is certainly odd. You would assume that the faster system would be
55 the one compiling stuff for the slower one. I've been thinking of buying
56 a couple of old desktops for the sole purpose of being distcc slaves but
57 I don't know how much that would improve the compile times.
58
59 > Cheers,
60 > Wol
63 Cheers!
66 . * +
67 + Ang kalayaan ay dili gihatag, ini'y giabot.
68 * + {gopher,gemini}://kalayaan.xyz *
69 . C4AE 5D53 46A0 01DF 6E92 CB46 92D7 9FBB AB9F 3E37 .