From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no keyboard on fresh install
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 15:12:51
1 On 1 June 2012, at 09:33, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I am running thru a kvm switch, but don't really have the option
4 > without a fair bit of juggling to try it with everything hooked
5 > direct. I have tried plugging a keyboard direct, with no result.
6
7 I don't really understand. You can't try direct, you tried direct. Which?
8
9 KVMs are just flakey sometimes.
10
11 As discussed at:
12 http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/223068
13 http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/252806
14
15 I'm inclined to agree with Hinnerk - if the keyboard is recognised by BIOS then it's Linux problem.
16
17 However, if you're having keyboard, video or mouse problems and a KVM is in the chain then you *always* remove it as the first step.
18
19 Don't come to us saying "I have this problem and just to confuse the issue it could be the KVM" (something we're unable to help with), instead say "I originally tried with a KVM, but having removed it, that makes no difference".
20
21 Please read my full comments in the previous two threads about the flakiness and idiosyncrasies of KVMs. They make it totally impossible to know if the presses sent by the keyboard are the ones received by the computer.
22
23 Stroller.