From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /usr/portage index?
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 17:52:35
1 On Friday, August 26, 2011 05:08:08 PM James wrote:
2 > Hello,
5 > In /usr/portage/sci-chemistry, there are lots
6 > of software offerings. My son is new to Gentoo
7 > but now I let him go root and install packages.
8 >
9 > Does Gentoo maintain an online index with brief
10 > description of each so one can make a guess as to
11 > which packages might be useful to him?
12 >
13 > Is there some slick way to install all of the packages
14 > in this dir? (drawing a blank --most-likely-TGIF-syndrome)
15 >
16 > and then go down a list (index) and test which ones
17 > he would want to keep?
18 >
19 > suggestions are most welcome.
20 >
21 > I'm looking for suggestions better than:
22 > eix <package> one at a time....
23
24 Got a few ideas:
25
26 You can have "eix" give details for all the packages in a "group" in one go
27 though. Try:
28 # eix sci-chemistry/
29 (Yes, use a training slash "/" )
30
31 To install all the packages in "sci-chemistry/" you can do the following:
32 # emerge -va `eix sci-chemistry/ --only-names`
33
34 Be prepared to have to unmask a lot of packages.
35
36 To get a list of all the sci-chemistry/ packages installed (eg. still to check
37 and/or already selected to keep:
38 # eix -I --only-names sci-chemistry/
39
40 Hope these help with what you're trying to do.
43 Joost