From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About interpreting output of df -h
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 00:05:21
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Can anyone tell me how determine what these kind of useless names
3 > really mean?
4 >
5 > > From df -h
6 > Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
7 > rootfs 1.9G 283M 1.6G 15% /
8 > /dev/root 1.9G 283M 1.6G 15% /
9 >
10 > How are you supposed to tell what actual device these things are on.
11 >
12 > I know I can look in fstab... but that is something of a crap shoot
13 > since it is user configured.
14 >
15 > So what commands will show real devices not makebelieve baloney, and
16 > allow me to see the usage devices are put to?
17 >
18 > Why do we use these kind of names anyway?
19 >
20 > fdisk yes, but you can't tell what usage the devices are put to with that.
25 I usually follow that with the mount command. It shows what partitions
26 are where regardless of fstab.
27
28 That's me. Then again, I'm a bit weird. o_O
29
30 Dale
31