From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox, downloading files and odd behavior.
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2019 11:08:47
1 вс, 6 янв. 2019 г. в 02:54, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
2 >
3 > gevisz wrote:
4 > > вт, 1 янв. 2019 г. в 06:45, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
5 > >> With the newer Firefox versions, I've noticed something weird about
6 > >> downloading files. Usually these are videos using a download helper for
7 > >> videos and sometimes it is a normal file download, depends on the site.
8 > >> Either way, I get something odd at times. So far, I've yet to see any
9 > >> rhyme or reason to it. I can't figure out what triggers it. This is
10 > >> what it does. I start a download, either using a video helper add on or
11 > >> downloading as a file. I give it a name and location and it shows in
12 > >> the download window that it is downloading. However, if I go to the
13 > >> directory where it should be, sometimes nothing shows up. It will
14 > >> complete the download and then show that it failed after finishing the
15 > >> download. However, if I notice that it is not in the directory where it
16 > >> should be and I go back to the download window, hit pause and then
17 > >> resume, it starts over from the beginning and then shows up in the
18 > >> directory where it should be. Most of the time, it shows up that it is
19 > >> downloading and it is where it should be without be doing anything
20 > >> further but sometimes, it doesn't.
21 > >>
22 > >> One other thing that it does on rare occasions. It will show it is
23 > >> downloading for a good while, sometimes more than half way, then
24 > >> disappear in the directory as if it is deleted but still show that it is
25 > >> downloading in the download window. I've only seen it do that a few
26 > >> times but it is annoying to look and make sure it is downloading a file
27 > >> that takes a hour or more only to have it disappear part way through.
28 > >>
29 > >> This started with the new multi-process versions or whatever it is
30 > >> called of Firefox. It acts like a permissions problem or something to
31 > >> me. It either thinks it doesn't have write permissions at the start or
32 > >> thinks it loses them part way through or something. If it only did this
33 > >> when using the add on, I'd think it is that but it also does it when I'm
34 > >> downloading as a file with no add on being used. Either way, I'm not
35 > >> sure what to look into really. I'm not even sure what to google for to
36 > >> see if anyone else is noticing this. What does one call this problem???
37 > >>
38 > > I experience similar problems with downloading files in Firefox for quite
39 > > a long time. I cannot say for how long time exactly, but estimating it
40 > > from memory: for about a few years. Yes, t is quite annoying but
41 > > currently I have already got the habit to open download manager
42 > > every time I download a file, stop downloading it and then restart again.
43 > > (I even try to do the same automatically while using other web browsers
44 > > like chromium or google-chrome. :)
45 > >
46 > > However, I believe that it has nothing to do with "the newer Firefox versions"
47 > > as I still use Firefox version 52.9.0 (compiled without clang) and all these
48 > > troubles with downloading files started even on much more earlier versions.
51 > Interesting. I don't recall it ever doing this with the older versions
52 > but maybe whatever it is is just now hitting me for some reason. That's
53 > the thing about random problems, they are random. Still, at least I
54 > know it is not just me.
55 >
56 > Since you mention chromium etc, that makes me wonder if it is the
57 > browser at all. Could it be something else? A permissions issue
58 > maybe? Some sort of file system problem? Could it be a common package
59 > that these browsers depend on? Which leads to this question. Do you
60 > use LVM or ext4 or both? I use LVM and ext4 here. Odds are, we both
61 > have the same dependencies installed so not sure how to figure out if it
62 > is one of those.
63
64 I should clarify: I experience the said download problem only in Firefox,
65 never with Chromium or Google-chrome. I have mentioned Chromium
66 and Google-chrome only to indicate that my habit of opening download
67 manager became so unconscious that I try to open download manager
68 even in Chromium and Google-chrome, when it is not needed.
69
70 Luckily, the hot keys for opening download manager in Firefox and
71 Chromium/Google-chrome do not coincide, so I just end up opening
72 something else and then realize that download manager is not needed.
73
74 I never used LVM as I believe that it increases the chance of loosing
75 all the information on hard disks.
76
77 And yes, I do use ext4 as it is the default file system for Linux.
78
79 P.S. Most often, I download html pages and have noticed that the
80 said download problem does not arise when I download html pages
81 in the so called "read" view, that is after pressing that little book icon
82 in the Firefox URL address line, whereas downloading the same pages
83 from a usual default view, with a lot of additional files, almost sure
84 leads to the said download problem.