From: Joris Dobbelsteen <joris@××××××××××××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Restore Gentoo, portage not consistent with actually installed
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:47:43
1 Dear,
2
3 I have yet again tried to upgrade my Xen software to a later version,
4 which almost worked fine. Since I needed it fully working I have
5 restored my original installation. Basically this is just using
6 xfsrestore for / (root), dd to restore /boot. However I have left
7 /usr/portage alone, as I considered it volatile (restorable with emerge
8 --sync).
9
10 However at this point portage does not seem to know what is actually
11 installed and what is no longer available.
12
13 For example:
14 equery -i list | grep xen
15 app-emulation/xen-3.1.2
16 app-emulation/xen-3.2.1
17 app-emulation/xen-tools-3.1.2
18 app-emulation/xen-tools-3.2.1
19 sys-kernel/xen-sources-2.6.20-r6
20 sys-kernel/xen-sources-2.6.21
21
22 It seems that xfsrestore doesn't remove all existing files, but rather
23 overwrites portions. How do I clean up my system again, as the state is
24 rather corrupted at this point?
25
26 Before I forgot to ask, is there a LiveCD that actually includes
27 xfsrestore? I'm missing it on the gentoo 2007 install CD.
28
29 - Joris
30 --
31 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list