From: "Vincent A. Primavera" <vincent.primavera@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE flags...
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:42:13
1 Vincent A. Primavera wrote:
2
3 > Hello,
4 > Just looking for some opinions here. What is a good approach
5 > to installing applications with a minimal amount of optional USE flags
6 > enabled? For example, if one were to run `emerge -pv kde-base/kde` you
7 > would be presented with many, many dependencies and USE flags. I
8 > would prefer to install less upfront and add on later as needed.
9 > Doing an `emerge -pv $packagename` then looking through the
10 > dependencies and their USE flags each time, to me, doesn't seem like
11 > the best method. I took a look at the list of USE flags at
12 > http://www.gentoo-portage.com/USE and disabling dozens of them in
13 > /etc/make.conf doesn't seem like a great method either. I'm trying to
14 > avoid a big, bloated system without going too crazy here. Any
15 > suggestions?
16 > --
17 > Thank you,
18 >
19 > Vincent A. Primavera.
20 > Director of Information Technology.
21 > Ralph Pill Electric Supply Co.
22
23 > Hi,
24 > Recently there was such discussion, only about the default USE-flags (in
25 > current profile).
26 > By memory the solution was: "-* only desired USE-flags here, ex. alsa
27 > crypt readline ..." in '/etc/make.conf'
28 > "-*" disables quite all (only all optional w/o the required ones) and
29 > turns ON the USE-flags following it.
30 > PS: watch out there are 2-3 flags which are absolutely required for a
31 > sane system, check ML-archive (readline is one).
32 > HTH. Rumen
33
34 > Hello,
35 > This looks like what I am leaning towards. Now I just have to
36 > find out what those few critical flags are ;o} Thanks all!
37 > --
38 > Vincent A. Primavera.
39 > Director of Information Technology.
40 > Ralph Pill Electric Supply Co.
41 > --
42 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
43
44 Hello,
45 I found this below at
46 http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11993814: USE="-* tcpd crypt ssl pam
47 ncurses zlib readline". Does it look as minimalistic *and* safe as
48 possible?
49 --
50 Thank you,
51