From: "András Csányi" <sayusi.ando@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] move to xfce and forget kde and gnome
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 14:51:29
1 2011/8/19 Space Cake <spacecakex@×××××.com>:
2 > hi,
3 >
4 > after playing a lot with desktop environment first I've decided to move
5 > from kde to gnome because kde is too "shine" and eat too much and
6 > contains a lot of feature which I don't really need.. gnome is good but
7 > still too fat.... so finally I've found Xfce which is perfect for my
8 > needs... :)
9 >
10 > my question is what is the easiest way to get rid of kde/gnome stuff? is
11 > this enough to change my useflags to -kde and -gnome? Is there any list
12 > what I can safely unmerge in this case?
13
14 I think we agree. Nowadays I use xfce because KDE is hungry and makes
15 my system slower. But there is a few application (amarok - big
16 bloatware but I like the amarok services, umbrello, krusader, kile,
17 etc) which is needed and I always have a full KDE install beside xfce.
18 What is your strategy? You will not use any KDE related application or
19 if something is needed you will install it separately?
22 - -
23 --  Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)  -- http://sayusi.hu --
24 http://facebook.com/andras.csanyi
25 --  ""Trust in God and keep your gunpowder dry!" - Cromwell