From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: minimal grub:2 install? [grub:0 being removed]
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 23:37:16
1 On 2019-01-17, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I made the switch a good while back.  Even for me, it has been fairly
4 > easy.  I don't recall it ever breaking or giving me trouble.  When I
5 > build a new kernel and get the init thingy in /boot, I run this command
6 > to update grub.
7 >
8 > grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
9
10 I don't want to use grub2-mkconfig. On my simple machines, the grub
11 config file (for either 0.97 or 2) is trivial and I prefer to maintain
12 it manually. On my complex machine (about a dozen different distros
13 installed in as many partitions), grub2-mkconfig invariably guesses
14 wrong too much of the time. Disabling the os-prober helps a lot, but
15 it's still way easier to just maintain the config file manually.
16
17 > To your real desire, I don't think there is a minimal grub2 install.
18 > While bigger than the old Grub, it isn't to bad, given the size of
19 > drives nowadays.
20
21 I'm not worried about the size, I just don't want any of the
22 automagical config stuff happening (and would feel safest if it wasn't
23 even installed).
26 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! My haircut is totally
27 at traditional!
28 gmail.com