From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: CUPS and hp OfficeJet Pro
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:48:01
1 Daniel Pielmeier <billie <at> gentoo.org> writes:
2
3 > You don't need avahi or zeroconf for hplip, which does not work for current
4 > versions of hplip due to bugs in cups anyway. This is only needed if you have a
5 > networked printer. You can still detect the printer without the mDNS
6 > (avahi,zeroconf) method through SLP. You should be able to select the detection
7 > method at run time with hp-setup.
8
9 hplip and cups are working fine together. Here are my flags
10 (for now) that are working fine:
11
12 net-print/cups-1.4.2-r1 USE="X acl dbus java jpeg ldap pam
13 perl php png python slp ssl tiff
14
15 net-print/hplip-3.9.12-r1 USE="gtk hpcups qt4 scanner snmp
18 Agreed. My printers all have ethernet; work off of the socket.
19 However, the printer supports mDNS (from the embedded web server)
20
21 "
22 Enable mDNS
23 This specifies the mDNS service name assigned to the device. This name is a
24 string that can consist of any UTF-8 characters and can be up to 63 bytes in
25 length. (If ASCII characters are used, the name can be up to 63 characters long,
26 but if other characters are used, the name might be shorter.) This name is
27 persistent and is used to resolve a particular device if socket information
28 (such as the IP address) changes from session to session. Apple Bonjour uses
29 this service. The default service name is the printer model and the LAN Hardware
30 (MAC) address.
31
32 mDNS Service Name: "
36 My experience is embedded software development companies are all
37 over "zeroconf".
40 Open source folks are all about avahi.
43 Most are confused, but not on this list, folks did a good job
44 of fleshing out the minutia.....
45 The whole zeroconf thing is very similar to the functions of
46 snmp, just extended and repackaged, methinks.
49 The printer is very cool.....
50 and less than $200 US at costco....
53 Thanks to all concerning zeroconf et all.
54
55 Thanks for the flags discussion.
58 Working great.
59 James