From: Jason Cooper <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to shred without deleting /dev/*
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:18:21
1 Michael Kintzios (michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk) scribbled:
2 > I was blanking a floppy but when I ran:
3 > ====================
4 > $ shred -u -v /dev/fd0
5 > ====================
6 > /dev/fd0 was dully deleted after the shred operation finished. Rebooting the machine relaunched udev which recreated fd0 (is there another way to avoid having to reboot)?
7 >
8 > On the second floppy I thought of avoiding unwittingly deleting the fd0 node so I tried:
9 > ====================
10 > $ shred -u -v /dev/fd0/
11 > shred: /dev/fd0/: Not a directory
12 > ====================
13 > Or:
14 > ====================
15 > $ shred -u -v /dev/fd0/
16 > shred: /dev/fd0/*: Not a directory
17 > ====================
18 >
19 > Is there a way of shredding a complete floppy (not just a file at a time) without removing the /dev/fd0 node?
20
21 # man shred
22
23 [snip]
24 -u, --remove
25 truncate and remove file after overwriting
26
27 -v, --verbose
28 show progress
29
30 -x, --exact
31 do not round file sizes up to the next full block;
32
33 this is the default for non-regular files
34
35 -z, --zero
36 add a final overwrite with zeros to hide shredding
37 [snip]
38
39 don't use '-u' on devices.
40