From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Getting stuff off a Mac machine
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 19:53:19
1 On Fri, 4 September 2015, at 5:57 pm, Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
2 >
3 > A friend has a, I thin a few years old - Yosemite, Mac that I need to
4 > get some large files off. I though Mac's could read NTFS, the files are
5 > bigger than 4GB hence NTFS over FAT32, hence formatted a spare USB drive
6 > as NTFS and then plugged it into the machine. No go on the copy. I tried
7 > a few things then it dawned on me that the Mac probably couldn't write
8 > to the disk - bummer….
9
10 All you describe sounds like it should work.
11
12 I can't remember how good OS X's NTFS handling is - after they first switched to Intel I think one had to install Bootcamp to get any Windows related drivers. Yosemite is the latest production version os Mac OS, though, so I doubt that any longer applies.
13
14 Likewise, I can't recollect if Linux's HFS+ drivers write ok.
15
16 It shouldn't take you long to compile HFS+ as a module and mount an Mac drive to find out for yourself - you shouldn't need to reboot the machine, just add HFS as a module using `make menuconfig`, then something like `make modules install` (??). I think you might need to `insmod` or `depmod` before the kernel knows about the new driver to load it automatically, but I wouldn't bother.
17
18 If I were you I would just stick with a FAT32 filesystem, tar up the files on the Mac, and then use `split` to break your tarball into 3GB chunks. Then reassemble the pieces when you copy them to your own compy.
19
20 http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/1588/break-a-large-file-into-smaller-pieces
21 http://askubuntu.com/questions/54579/how-to-split-larger-files-into-smaller-parts
22 http://ccm.net/faq/785-linux-cutting-a-file-into-several-parts