From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: device eth0 does not exist
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 16:33:39
1 On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 3:15 AM, Cinder <cinder@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Thanks again. I was using the e1000 both compiled-in and as a module with
5 > tried it as a module. I don't feel that it's the kernel driver but rather
6 > the correct ethernet inter-face is not being created. I'm reading about
7 > writing udev rules at the moment. The kenel configuration I had was working.
10 If you do "ifconfig -a" and it doesn't show any eth* interface, then it is a
11 kernel/driver/HW problem, not a udev problem - ifconfig gets the information
12 straight from the /proc (or is it /sys?) filesystem - direct from the
13 kernel, so udev is not involved - udev can only change the name of the
14 interface, not cause it to not show up.
15
16 Can you do a fresh boot, try modprobing e1000, and then send the output of
17 dmesg and uname -a?
18
19 -James