From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] choosing different xservers (xorg.confs) as needed?
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 23:01:11
1 Is it possible to choose between different xorg.conf files depending on your
2 needs? What I mean is, can you get startx or xinit to choose a config file
3 other than the default?
4
5 What I have in mind is to be able to choose between using fglrx (for faster
6 opengl) or the radeon driver (because fglrx won't (AFAIK) work alongside
7 other drivers for multi-head setups (and because it's not very reliable
8 either)).
9
10 One problem would be that fglrx works best with ati opengl, whereas other
11 drivers require mesa. Would I have to eselect the different opengl version
12 each time I started X? I suppose that it would be possible, failing all else,
13 to simply run a script each time I start X to sort out the opengl and swap
14 the xorg.confs about.
15
16 Actually, the card I am using is a radeon-9200se. I understand that the
17 chipset support for this card in the radeon driver is better than for later
18 models. Is the performance of the radeon driver for this card likely to catch
19 up with that of fglrx in the relatively near future and make my question
20 obsolete?
21
22 Many thanks
23 Robert
24 --
25 Robert Persson
26
27 Conspiracy Bears:
28 Once upon a time there were lots of conspiracy bears...
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list