From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] syslog-ng misbehaving
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 07:40:51
1 On Tue, 6 Apr 2021 23:11:15 -0600, Dan Egli wrote:
2
3 > Before I seek out a mailing list for syslog-ng, I was hoping I could
4 > get some tips from people here. I recently started trying to separate
5 > logs into various functions rather than letting everything go to
6 > /var/log/messages. So I created three filters in syslog-ng. One is
7 > intended to separate sshd messages, one to separate samba messages, and
8 > the other to say "everything ELSE". The problem  I seem to be having is
9 > that the everything ELSE log still shows things that should have been
10 > removed! For example, when I login via ssh I get identical notification
11 > in the /var/log/messages and in /var/sshd/sshd.log. So I'm lost. I'm
12 > including my syslog-ng.conf. Perhaps someone here can tell me what I'm
13 > doing wrong.
14
15 > filter samba { program("samba"); };
16 > filter ssh_messages { facility("AUTH") and level("INFO"); };
17 > filter syslog { not filter("ssh_messages") and not filter("samba"); };
18
19 Shouldn't this be an or? You are filtering out anything that is in both
20 groups, which will be a very small set of messages.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Ralph's Observation - It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object
27 to realize that you are in a hurry.