From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] grub2: hidden menu unless shift pressed?
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 20:39:11
1 I'm trying to figure out how to configure grub 2.02 so that no menu is
2 displayed and it will boot immediately to the default unless shift is
3 held down during boot -- in which case it displays the menu and waits
4 indefinitely for a choice to be made.
5
6 This is a bare-bones grub2 installation without any of the
7 auto-magical, config generator scripts. All I have is grub.cfg and an
8 editor.
9
10 I've found many web pages that say all you have to to is edit
11 /etc/default/grub and set GRUB_TIMEOUT=0 and GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 and
12 Bob's your uncle. Of course that file gets mashed about by dozens of
13 shell scripts comprising thousands of lines of code to product the
14 real grub.cfg containing hundreds of lines of code.
15
16 [Oh God, how I hate grub2.]
17
18 AFAICT, you end up with
19
20 set timeout=0
21 set timeout_style=hidden
22
23 But, that doesn't seem to work. Holding down the shift key during boot
24 doesn't cause the menu to be displayed, and it always boots directly
25 to the default no matter what you do.
26
27 Any grub2 experts care to lend a clue?
30 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! MERYL STREEP is my
31 at obstetrician!
32 gmail.com