From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to apply a patch to ebuild?
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:36:20
1 On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 08:56 -0300, Allan Spagnol Comar wrote:
2 > Hi I was reading the bug report 114915 at gentoo bugzilla and it
3 > mentions a patch to ebuid, I had downloaded the patch but I don't have
4 > any clue about how can I apply it to current ebuid.
5
6 well, how confident are you at having a go? Search the wiki for
7 "portage overlay". Essentially it involves making a directory
8 (like /usr/local/portage) and putting modified ebuilds in there.
9
10 You only have to copy as much or as little of /usr/portage as you like,
11 that may only be 2 or 3 files.
12
13 The patching itself is done with the `patch` command line tool. man
14 patch will give you more help there. Usually its `patch -px <patchfile`
15
16 The reason for adding it to the overlay (your other option is patching
17 straight to /usr/portage) is because /usr/portage will be overwritten by
18 the next emerge --sync.
19
20 Hope this gives you a head start, post back if you need more info.
23 Iain Buchanan <iain at pcorp dot com dot au>
24
25 Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.
26 -- Thomas Alva Edison
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list