From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips/Tricks for Gentoo on low-spec computer?
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:07:03
1 On Dienstag 20 Januar 2009, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > I'm in the process of installing Gentoo on a rather old
3 > machine. It's an old HP Pavilion with a 450MHz Celeron
4 > Mendocino and 256MB of PC133 SDRAM. I'm using an nVidia PCI
5 > FX6200 video board instead of the i810 on-board chip, and it's
6 > got a decent hard drive (160GB).
7 >
8 > I was wondering if there were any particular tips/tricks for
9 > getting the best performance out of such a machine. It's to be
10 > used for basic word processing and a few games. Hopefully the
11 > nVidia 6200 will allow OpenGL to run fast enough for something
12 > like TuxRacer.
13 >
14 > I chose XFCE for the desktop along with both Abiword and
15 > OpenOffice. I probably should have installed OOo from a binary
16 > package, but I decided to build it just to see how long it
17 > would take (so far it's at about 26 hours and counting).
18
19 if you don't need any special features, kde+koffice needs less ram than
20 xfce+openoffice.
21
22 And installing ooo from source is unsupport. The build breaks all the time and
23 you don't get anything from it. All it does is starting a second faster. It
24 does not need less ram nor does it run faster.