From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tried desktop profile
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 17:38:17
1 On Wed, 14 Oct 2020, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2
3 > Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 00:23:50
4 > From: J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
5 > Reply-To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tried desktop profile
8 >
9 > On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 6:52:05 PM CEST Jude DaShiell wrote:
10 > > Let's see if this is a correct bottom post. I've never seen anything in
11 > > this life. Eyes never developed enough for me to see.
12 > > The desktop profile emerge failed, and no more has been done with the old
13 > > machine yet. I could change to basic profile then emerge @world then
14 > > emerge the basic profile @world then emerge --depclean to clear the
15 > > unnecessary desktop packages from the machine. If I'm not mistaken, the
16 > > new machine has 8 cores on it but all the ssd disks I have for it are
17 > > 120MB disks so that might be a bit small for gentoo. I'll read through
18 > > the hardware requirements again and make sure.
19 >
20 > I really hope you mistyped and meant those SSDs are 120GB (Gigabyte, instead
21 > of Megabyte)
22 >
23 > 120GB is enough. I have an older laptop with that and it runs KDE/Plasma just
24 > fine and even manages some games from steam.
25 >
26 > Most important is the memory requirement.
27 > 2GB Ram can be made to work, but if you want a desktop, you need to forget
28 > about the likes of KDE and Gnome and go with something that needs less memory.
29 >
30 > I have no idea how well they support accessibility tools like speakup though.
31 > Hope someone else with more knowledge about this can add their input.
32 >
33 > Kind regards,
34 Let's see, yes that was a typo, those ssd disks are each 120GB and
35 unfortunately the Alien ATX case used only has room for one of them.
36 However external ssd drives are on the market.
37 I figure to use mate for a desktop since mate is rated as having better
38 accessibility than gnome. Now for a screen reader mate has orca
39 sometimes called screen-reader and fenrir can be used in mate-terminal
40 and on the command line outside of mate if necessary. Fenrir if
41 installed is a pip install.
42
43 I found I have one available ssd drive available so am in process of
44 putting gentoo on that.
45 I can put archlinux and my podcasts on that 3tb drive on the older
46 machine with no problem.
47
48 > > Joost > > >