From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How does Gentoo deal with GCC's header fixes?
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 15:01:55
1 On 09/08/2010 03:10 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > When building GCC, it will scan all headers in /usr/include and apply fixes to them, and then copy them and use the modified versions. Now a binary distro (AFAIK) will ship the GCC modified headers, so there's no problem.
3 >
4 > Gentoo on the other hand will work as intended by GCC only if the user re-emerges GCC after every time a package is emerged that installs headers. Obviously, no user does that.
5 >
6 > So the question is simple; does Gentoo deal with this problem in any way?
7
8 Maybe I misunderstand your question, but AFAIK the only reason to re-compile any
9 package is if the libraries it links to have changed, no?
10
11 AFAICS gcc links only to libraries installed by glibc. therefore in the case of
12 recompiling gcc itself, it should need/use only the headers installed by glibc.
13
14 (And the only reason to re-compile an existing glibc is if the linux kernel headers
15 change. I always re-compile glibc when the linux kernel headers change, but I
16 never thought about re-compiling gcc as well. Maybe I should.)
17
18 Corrections are requested if I'm wrong about all of this.