From: Fernando Meira <fmeira@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: migrating to gcc-3.4.4
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:56:28
1 On 8/24/05, Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 08:30:11PM +0000, Fernando Meira wrote:
4 > > Oh.. and by the way, how reliable is this prediction?
5 > > (...)
6 > > [ebuild N ] sys-apps/hdparm-5.9
7 > > [ebuild N ] sys-libs/pwdb-0.62
8 > >
9 > > Estimated update time: 6 hours, 7 minutes.
10 > >
11 > > All system in 6h? It is something like 120 packages..
14 > What's the speed of your box? I recently did an emerge --emptytree
15 > world on my 1.6G Pentium M laptop. It had 446 packages done in less
16 > than 29 hours (I say less than because if would run long stretches at
17 > a time and stop after failed downloads here and there because of
18 > wireless problems... for all I know it could have been sitting there
19 > waiting for me to fix my wireless router for a couple of hours or
20 > more).
21 >
22 > So if you have a comparably fast system, with not too many useflags
23 > enabled, I'd say that 120 packages in 6 hours is quite possible.
26 I have a P4-2.4GHz laptop.
27 I forgot to say that the estimation time was made by genlop. And was quite
28 wrong! It took something like 11h to compile 112 packages, (though I've
29 interrupted while compiling gcc-3.3.6.. so it had to restart it anew). From
30 this, I don't know if I should trust genlop anymore.. or is there something
31 to configure so that it is more accurate?
32
33 Just for the record, the migration to gcc-3.4.4 went just fine.. until now
34 at least. :)