From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: Flash+nspluginwrapper versus Gnash comparisons?
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 03:15:44
1 I'm getting rather annoyed with Firefox. I don't want to get into
2 that flamewar right now. I'm trying to migrate to UZBL. The latest git
3 version is a lot better than the stale stable version. The uzbl-9999
4 ebuild is broken (yes, I've filed a bug), so I pull directly from git
5 and build and install to ~/.local. It's a steep learning curve, and
6 I've gradually resolved almost every issue. The last reason to have
7 Firefox or Opera hanging around is Flash. I subscribe to NHL GameCenter
8 Live and Live365.com, so Flash functionality is mandatory for me.
9
10 The git version of UZBL requires a recent version of webkit, which
11 requires gtk3. Flash is a gtk2 program, so it doesn't work. I've heard
12 that the 2 options are...
13 1) Running Flash in nspluginwrapper
14 2) Using Gnash to replace Flash
15
16 How are people's experiences with the 2 options above?
19 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
20 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications