From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 01:40:48
1 Mike Myers wrote:
2 > I just wanted to add something to the original post.
3 >
4 > I've recently began experimenting with Debian and noticed their updating
5 > system is exactly like what I was asking about. Basically, there's
6 > package updates, and then there's distro updates. Why is it
7 > unreasonable for Gentoo to have something like this? I think it would
8 > help Gentoo a lot in the server market, where scalability is important.
9
10 While this is true, one of the differentiating points of Gentoo is
11 precisely the build-from-source idea (there are plenty of binary update
12 distros out there).
13
14 One other thing - to actually do what you are suggesting requires a fair
15 number of extra volunteers to maintain these package updates. Now I'm
16 not saying its not possible, or even a bad idea mind - just wore work...
17 and maybe that effort might be better spent on keeping the current
18 momentum and quality of Gentoo as it is (or improving it)...
19
20 Cheers
21
22 Mark