From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel options and udisk
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 06:54:11
1 Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
2 > On 09/18/2012 11:03 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:53:53 -0500
5 >>> Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> When I moved in with my GF, her electric bill shoot up to the roof (I
8 >>>> brought my 46" LCD TV, PlayStation 3, and in total 5 computers and
9 >>>> other electronics). After a couple of months of shock of seeing the
10 >>>> electric bills, we started to do this kind of stuff
11 >>>> (suspending/hibernating our machines, using CFL instead of normal
12 >>>> light bulbs, etc.), and we cut the spending almost in four.
13 >>> Apartment living maybe?
14 >>>
15 >>> I have 1 XBox, 2 Wii's, 40" LED TV, 22" LED monitor, 16" LCD monitor, an
16 >>> xbmc frontend, 2 el-cheap android tablets permanently plugged in, 1
17 >>> desktop, 2 HP microservers and 3 laptops running almost 24/7. And about
18 >>> 10 incandescent bulbs all evening, 2 neons and umpteen CFLs.
19 >>>
20 >>> It's a lot of power, sure.
21 >>>
22 >>> And all quite insignificant when compared to what the swimming pool
23 >>> pump uses......
24 >>>
25 >>> All a matter of perspective I suppose :-)
26 >>>
27 >>
28 >> My biggest expenses, refrigeration and heating/cooling. I have a large
29 >> fridge, two deep freezers, two window A/C's for summer and a large
30 >> heater for the winter. Compare any of those to my computer, the
31 >> computer is a rounding error. My main rig, monitor, router, DSL modem
32 >> and printer pulls about 150 watts at most. At most would be while it is
33 >> compiling or something. When idle, ~100 watts. I figured it up once
34 >> and I think it costs about $12.00 a month to run. Heck, when I have a
35 >> $200.00 power bill, rounding error comes to mind. Heck, taxes and fees
36 >> on the power bill is more than my puter uses. I would much rather fuss
37 >> about the taxes than my puter. I use my puter. lol
38 >>
39 >> I think you hit it pretty good tho Alan. It's perspective.
40 >>
41 > It's not only about power bill costs. Oil and gas are limited resources
42 > and we're not leaving much to the next generations. Yes, it's a matter
43 > of perspective :-)
44 >
45 > raf
48 And every day I hear about them finding more oil and gas that they
49 didn't know was there before. Everything is a limited resource
50 including sunlight. If we are going to live thinking the end is
51 tomorrow, then we are not going to have a life worth living.
52
53 Reminds me of a quote I heard a little while ago. 'We shouldn't eat to
54 live, we should live to eat.' It was something like that. I think I
55 got it right since I didn't exactly write it down. They were talking
56 about food but still. If you live, you have to use something.
57
58 Dale
59
63 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!