From: Neil Walker <neil@×××××××.nu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux & Motherboard
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 23:00:56
1 Nicola Degl'Innocenti wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 > I would like to buy a new pc, but since I use linux more than windows (that i
4 > use only for gaming), I am interested in hardware compatibility with linux.
5 >
6 > I'm planing to buy a core 2 Duo platform with a nvidia 8800 GT, but i am very
7 > confused about the motherboard. The cheapest shop vendor only have asus
8 > motherboard so i don't have much choice.
9 > - Asus P5E X38 DDR2 for 189 €
10 > - Asus P5K/pro iP35 for 114 €
11 > - Asus P5N32-E/SLI 680i for 199€
12 > - Asus P5N-T dlx 780i 232€
13 >
14 > Someone have one of those cards or know a good site with information about
15 > linux compatibility for those cards?
18 I've never had a problem with Asus motherboards and Linux - in fact,
19 they are my preferred manufacturer. My last Asus board was an M3A for
20 an AMD Phenom CPU which is irrelevant to your case, unfortunately.
21 However, my last two build have been using Intel Q6600 CPUs (Core 2
22 quad) using J&W motherboards with the Intel P35 chipset so I can say
23 that chipset works absolutely fine with Linux. :)
24
25 I believe any of those boards you list should be fine but the P5K/Pro
26 iP35 seems to offer the best value for money.
29 Be lucky,
30
31 Neil
36 This message has been scanned for viruses and
37 dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
38 believed to be clean.
42 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list