From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] system.map file in /boot. How to manage?
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 07:00:15
1 Howdy,
2
3 The subject line pretty much describes this.  How does one manage the
4 system.map file in /boot?  Is it needed?  Should it be updated with each
5 kernel?  I tend to keep 2 to 3 kernels installed.  I tend to keep 2 that
6 I know are stable and one testing.  After a while, I may remove the
7 oldest one and only have two, just in case.  Should I version the
8 system.map file the same as kernels?  Does just one with no version get
9 the job done?  Update the file with each kernel upgrade or install one
10 and done?
11
12 While at it, what does it even do?  If it needs it, it doesn't matter
13 but just curious.
14
15 Thanks for any tips on this.
16